Last week the Philippine Sports Hall of Fame review committee adopted a resolution to automatically nominate PH Olympic medal winners for inclusion in the Philippine Sports Hall of Fame (PSHOF).
The resolution is also supported by the Philippine Sports Commission chairman William “Butch” Ramirez. Ramirez stated that winning a medal in the prestigious Olympic games is something worth recognizing for a lifetime.
Only nine Filipinos have ever won a medal in the Summer Olympic Games.
- Teófilo Yldefonso – Men’s 200-meter breaststroke
- Simeon Toribio – Men’s 200-meter breaststroke
- José Villanueva – Men’s high jump
- Miguel White – Men’s bantamweight
- Anthony Villanueva – Men’s 400-meter hurdles
- Leopoldo Serantes – Men’s lightweight
- Roel Velasco – Men’s lightweight
- Mansueto Velasco – Men’s light flyweight
- Hidilyn Diaz – Women’s 50 kg
The nine Philippine medalists have won ten Olympic medals, three silver, and seven bronze. To date, no PH national athlete has won a gold medal in the Summer or Winter Olympics.
The Philippine Sports Hall of Fame (PSHOF) committee comprises members from the Games and Amusement Board, Philippine Olympic Committee, Intergraded Cycling Federation, Philippine Sports Commission, and the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP). Members from the committee signed the Republic Act No. 8757, setting in motion the HOF nominees.
Betting on the Olympic games is legally available to Philippine residents by online sportsbooks that operate outside of the country. Domestic gambling services can also offer betting lines on sporting events outside of the country. Filipino athletes are poised to do well in the upcoming Tokyo Olympics after a strong showing in the 2019 SEA Games.